AZHT.net

AZHT.net (http://www.azht.net/forum/index.php)
-   On Topic (http://www.azht.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   2016 Ford Focus RS (http://www.azht.net/forum/showthread.php?t=200371)

Atomic-Orange-Turbo-Sloth 02-03-2015 12:11 PM

2016 Ford Focus RS

Well we knew it was coming to the USA about 2 months ago and now it hath been revealed. The 2016 Ford Focus RS is one of 12 performance models Ford is creating between now and 2020 which will be global cars (no more Europe only bullcrap).

The Focus RS will foray into territory dominated by the soon-to-be defunct Lancer EVO and aging middleweight Subaru STI. Produced in German and shipped all over the world as a limited production car, it will produce north of 315HP and 315TQ from a highly modified ductile iron sleeved 2.3 Liter ecoboost motor derived from the Ecoboost Mustang.

The AWD system is mated to a 6 speed manual gearbox (go home DSG, nobody likes you), and can transmit up to 70% power to the rear wheels. Ford is claiming the addition of all wheel drive and upgraded components has only added 44 pounds of weight.

All i know is i am extremely excited, with a price claimed to be just sound of $38,000

usdm420 02-03-2015 01:04 PM

Still gonna go Mustang GT. Cheaper, more power.

Crono 02-03-2015 01:27 PM

I thought the new GT was close to Corvette price range.

usdm420 02-03-2015 01:58 PM

Fugg no!
New GT starts at $32k...new Vette is $60k+

I just built a 5.0 on Ford.com and the total was $34k. That's 6-spd with Recaro interior.

435hp > 315hp
400lbs/tq > 315

And cheaper to boot? Yeah, still gonna go 5.0

cbaracing 02-03-2015 04:08 PM

produced in german :rflmao:

Koopa Troopa 02-03-2015 04:40 PM

96accordsir 02-03-2015 09:16 PM

^haha good point

Atomic-Orange-Turbo-Sloth 02-04-2015 08:22 AM

Since this is "on topic" im not gonna say what i would prefer, but just know its nowhere near the DISI put in the Mazdaspeed3/6. That motor was significantly changed when it was put into the Ecoboost Mustang, but as far as im aware at its core its a Mazda L family engine, which Mazda designed from the Ford F series engine long ago, and when they split Ford retained the technology.

But this motor is even different over the Stang variant, as some articles are saying the head was designed in conjunction with Cosworth. Not to mention its sleeved already, beefed up, etc.

I get comparing this car to other cars in the 38-44k price range (for example), but they are FAR from the same. The crowd looking for a Mustang GT is rarely one interested in a turbo 4 cylinder AWD hatch, and vice versa. As much as i love the 2015 Mustang GT (trust me i REALLY do), id rather have the Focus RS. I can take the Focus anywhere, any season, FAST, with afew friendly comfortably plus pick up more groceries and fat hookers.

After having several coupes, im a sucker for a 4 door car and love me some hatchback. Take a listen and see if you still feel the way you do, because no Mazdaspeed3 ever sounded this good even if you allowed the turbo to suck in a herd of unicorns.

CAPTAIN CAAAAAAAVEMAN 02-04-2015 08:46 AM

Badass, reminds me of my first ride in a turbo "ford"
It was a merkur xr4ti, wow. I feel this may surpass that wow, maybe up to daydream status... but what about the fiesta? I want a street version of the global rallycross cars...

Koopa Troopa 02-04-2015 10:04 AM

Sounds like a turbo diesel Land Cruiser. I don't like my fuel injected engines to have a diesel exhaust note to them. It's gonna be a badass car, but it's not any thing I'm looking forward to. It's a shame that there's a 1% chance of the US getting the new CTR, and there's a 99% chance off that 1% that if the US does get the CTR, it will suck. Unless something changes, then I am planning on moving back to Arizona after I finish my degree. I won't be buying a new car by choice, instead I'll be looking for a later model 7th gen Civic sedan. I figure that swapping everything from my DC5 over to a 7th gen DX or LX will be as close to a CTR as I'll ever get in the States, or at least a CTR that I'd want to drive.

But that's taking away from this thread. Anyone have any good reads about the Focus RS? All I can find is a bunch of fanboyish sounding articles about how ZOMG awesome the car is going to be. There's nothing I can find on how many are being sold per country, the tech, etc. In my mind, it's just an overhauled Mazdaspeed 6 (key word being overhauled); however, I wouldn't mind being proved wrong on this subject.

Atomic-Orange-Turbo-Sloth 02-05-2015 07:32 AM

There is rumors of a Fiesta RS, but they are simply rumors thus far. Although it would be hard to imagine it would not be one of the 12 performance models by 2020.
The car was literally unveiled on Monday/Tuesday of this week, only people to have driven it are named Ken Block or they are not talking at all. And no its not a mazdaspeed6, the Mazda6 and Focus never shared a chassis and the Mazda AWD system only engaged when the front wheels spun, and the rears could take no more than about 30% power. You modify them and you start tanking drivetrain components right away (i had a 2011 Mazdaspeed3, so ive seen and known quite a bit about them and the MS6), so in short thats a big negative about it being a new Mazda6.

Im not sure where you are getting information or if you're just guessing, all the info i have is from the Ford press release and unveiling at Geneva. Information like expected allotment per region, price, and even finalized HP have not been released.

Food for thought, the previous Focus RS lapped the 'Ring in 8:26 and it was only FWD with less power (the RS500 model does not appear to have a time), as fast as a 2007 Audi S5. This car with AWD, better technology, more power, has potential to be VERY fast around the track and still liveable to get the groceries.

I do REALLY hope we get the CTR stateside, it will push other manufacturers to step up their game, im sure Honda will watch the Focus RS closely to see how a limited production premium performance car sells stateside that previously was kept away from us.

Koopa Troopa 02-05-2015 08:29 AM

My info comes from my brain. It's a general lack of understanding automotive manufacturers and their constant attempt at "how can we make this cheaper while creating max profit?" The 2.3L with Haldex AWD already exists on Saabs, Mazdas, and Volvos. Why would they design a completely new system when one already exists, and has been in production for about a decade?

Atomic-Orange-Turbo-Sloth 02-05-2015 11:11 AM

They are using a proven system that is also less expensive than a true Haldex system, if you watched the video they even ditched wide body to keep costs down and use that money more towards the power/drivetrain. Plus im sure their goals for this car may have been attainable without it.

My Fiesta ST does not have a LSD, it uses torque vectoring and works REALLY well especially around the track. Granted its better when you combine that with a true mechanical LSD, but the system is proven to work. Besides if Ken Block hasnt broken it, its fairly tough, if you tried to "drift" or do donuts in a Mazdaspeed 6 it would not go well.

The RS is going to have a Ediff setting for "drift" aswell i might mention, which will basically take the full 70% of power to the rears and transfer the same power to each rear drive wheel.

theAngryMarmot 02-05-2015 08:11 PM

Yeah, not the MS6 system. Or anything near it.

Ford has demonstrated that they are not scared to spend some money on new systems or R&D. Ecoboost, using aluminum in their mass production vehicles, and the Focus and Fiesta STs - all expensive projects that have been home runs in terms of getting people talking about Ford. Oh, and the new Ford GT, GT350R, etc.

Coincidentally enough, I think the only other manufacturer to be getting people to talk about them here of late has been Mazda.

Atomic-Orange-Turbo-Sloth 02-06-2015 12:39 PM

Ford has confirmed the rear driveline which uses two electronic locking rear diffs was in fact developed with GKN who makes the AWD system in the higher end Range Rover Evoque's, to which it is very similiar.

It remains to be seen but Landrover sees this GKN twin clutch rear end to be far superior to the traditional single clutch rear and haldex style.

Bruticus 02-06-2015 05:33 PM

youve left out 3 major components

AWD
weight
gearing

MrRline2010 02-06-2015 10:37 PM

Hope you never have any need for the backseat :P Also have they fixed the trans issues from the last generations?

IS-Frank 02-07-2015 10:47 AM

Never been a fan of ford even though my whole family and in laws have nothing but ford vehicles....but I got to admit I do love the new Ford focus...I got one for a rental evn though it was a base model sedan focus I got to admit I did fall in love with it and the new rs focus just looks amazing hope they can do something like this with the sedan model....ford has been stepping up as far a trying to compete in the import world of things..they have always been into the muscle scene pretty stoked to see this happening

Bruticus 02-07-2015 12:15 PM

The ecoboost mustangs are dipping into the 12's on just a retune, imagine what a lighter, more powerful awd rs is going to do.

Atomic-Orange-Turbo-Sloth 02-09-2015 12:30 PM

Bingo, they have went over 400RWHP with just minor mods, the RS engine is beefed up, flows better, and has a bigger snail.

Bruticus 02-09-2015 01:18 PM

block is sleeved from from ford...

add
upgraded turbo and intercooler
co2 sprayer
meth injection
e85
upgraded fuel system
full exhaust
cam
port work

Atomic-Orange-Turbo-Sloth 02-09-2015 02:53 PM

Cams' will probably never be offered unfortunately, there is not alot to gain especially with how clever current heads/cams are.

My Fiesta ST with just COBB Accessport and a tune to 91 octane gains about 10% HP and 25% torque. Factory maps are extremely restrictive and since its FWD had horrible torque truncation to help with torque steer.

Im highly excited to see what becomes of this car.

phatman 02-12-2015 03:31 AM

Should be a good car. Hopefully it makes it to the US. I like that Ford is trying to work it's way back into the performance market. Fingers crossed, even though I'll probably never own one of these. xD

Atomic-Orange-Turbo-Sloth 02-12-2015 08:27 AM

More info on the AWD system, it is more like the Acura SHAWD than we thought and the MS6 unit. Its bespoke, but it does share in that its FWD until slip is detected (doesnt even need to be true "slip" but can simply be tire modulations) then it kicks in the rear end. This was done to help with fuel mileage among other things, so i am OK with it. Through the cars driveline control system (similar to Subaru's system) you can make it AWD all the time with still up to 70% power to the rears.

So it has a couple of good similarities but overall its a new bespoke system that i think fits the bill perfectly for the first RS to dive into the AWD pool from FWD.