AZHT.net

AZHT.net (http://www.azht.net/forum/index.php)
-   Civic 01-05 (http://www.azht.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=90)
-   -   need some advice (http://www.azht.net/forum/showthread.php?t=27570)

quicktypeR 04-06-2007 12:56 PM

need some advice

This is for one of my buddys his timing belt busted at a stop light he tried to start it one more time after that then had it towed to a shop they told him he needed a new motor cause he only had 40 psi in 2 cyclinders the other ones were lil higher do you think he bent some valves in the process..or can he just replace the belt and hope for the best..

rum151 04-06-2007 04:43 PM

haha waddup art its steve . most likely valves are bent and once those go with the engine being all aluminum inside anything / everything can be damaged.
rebuild or new motor!

rushbuster70 04-06-2007 04:50 PM

might as well get a new motor.they are cheap anyway

quicktypeR 04-08-2007 05:47 PM

ok guys then from all that what about a K in to the civic?

rushbuster70 04-08-2007 06:25 PM

if he has the $$$$ go for it.

onefst91hatch 04-09-2007 01:13 AM

i would def say put a K in it if he ha sthe money. but before you go throwing a long block in there why not just pull the head and check for bent valves. i highly doubt he messed up anything else just sitting at a stop light. maybe if he was at 7k RPM but just sitting there... no way. i would say just have a valve job done and replace the bent valves. that could be done for cheap!!

rum151 04-09-2007 08:38 AM

true indeed you wont know how much he damaged unti lyou check out the head, but the man did he say he tried to start it once more , and if rods are bent and the head is gone and you restarting it again will certainly add more damage than realized, But you wont know how much unti lyou rip it apart and take a look.

ill be working on a kswap on my em2 soon, the best thing to do for our civics!

YewllowDA 04-10-2007 08:10 PM

the reason it got low compression because the timing moved. or worse bent valves

i suggest to change your timing belt ever 60k on old cars , i believe 90k on the newer ones . not sure but change them.

well one of the people i worked snapped a timing belt on their toyota camry V6 due to a stuck waterpump. it happened on the freeway, and yeah. our engines are free running, meaning the upper end stops, while the bottom end is still moving coz of the weights. but i tried to put new belt on and set the timing. its a 50-50 chance. luckily it started fine.....

topnotch7gen 04-10-2007 08:40 PM

Don't even BOTHER taking the head off. It's more of a bitch to fix the head then just replacing the entire motor, IMHO. Just replace the motor or get a K in its place!

Or you can put a new belt on there and HOPE for the best like you said. lol My timing belt tensioner snapped and cause my valves to bend and brake!