AZHT.net

AZHT.net (http://www.azht.net/forum/index.php)
-   AZHT Lounge (http://www.azht.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   What are you losers doing now? (http://www.azht.net/forum/showthread.php?t=469661)

C.R.A.Y. 12-07-2021 10:42 AM

What are you losers doing now?

We all know CBA gonna get buried in his EF, how many of you guys still wasting your life on hondas? you moved on? i definitely did.

CAPTAIN CAAAAAAAVEMAN 12-07-2021 02:35 PM

Wasting my life 4 lyfe!

NickAtNite 12-08-2021 08:12 AM

I stepped out of Hondas for almost a decade. During that time I grew up a bit, bought a newer and more reliable daily, and mostly focused on my career and getting financially stable. I actually fell out of the tuner scene all together and got more into trucks and offroading for a while. I've fallen back into Honda game again though... pretty hard too. I bought my self not one, but TWO EF hatchbacks this year. :facepalm:

C.R.A.Y. 12-08-2021 10:39 AM

Im sorry, looking at fb its still same broke dumb kid logic in the honda game

NickAtNite 12-08-2021 11:49 AM

Yeah I see the same thing. I joined a couple of local FB groups recently and the activity that goes in those is painful to watch. I really only use them to to find parts I need. I avoid most car meets for the same reason.

What are you into now days? I drove Toyota/Lexus for a while jumping to IS300, to 4runner, and then Tacoma. Even kept a Prius on side for the long work commutes. I now daily a 2017 F150 and keep the EF as a hobby.

theAngryMarmot 12-09-2021 10:26 AM

Had a fleet of broken projects - sold them all.

Now have a never ending supply of other's people broken projects I sort out and get paid for it. (Have a pretty sweet SR swapped 510 in the garage for a ton of work at the moment....)

Have been getting the itch for a new project though......

cbaracing 12-09-2021 02:27 PM

still wasting my life away on hondas. im too old to learn anything else

and you are correct it is still the same dumb broke kids. except now they are all driving cars that are older than they are :drive:

cbaracing 12-09-2021 02:29 PM

that car is the longest honda ive owned :smoke:

C.R.A.Y. 12-14-2021 09:12 AM

Currently building a pair of cars for true street class next year, a s2k and a s197 mustang. also got a supra i cleaned up to flip.

Never make your passion your job

it happens

theAngryMarmot 12-14-2021 10:10 AM

Eh, I enjoyed building cars for a career for decades - just didn't enjoy the shop owners.

This is a better balance.

NickAtNite 12-17-2021 05:09 PM

Nice. I'm kicking myself for not buying an S2K a few years back when pristine condition ones were under 20k. Same ones are going like 30k now. A little too pricey for me to keep as a weekend car atm. :ballin:

You can be happy with you passion as a job. My other passion was/is building computers. I currently work in IT maintaining millions of dollars worth of equipment for a major corp and I'm pretty happy doing it. I still enjoy building computers for myself and my wife too. You really just have to find a good company to work for and a role that's fulfilling.

4dr_ed3 12-17-2021 06:47 PM

I turned my passion into a career and I own and operate my own shop. A little stressful sometimes being a one man show but I enjoy what I do. I work on what I want and make my own schedule. People keep coming back so I must be doing something right.

C.R.A.Y. 12-20-2021 09:49 AM

telling someone to turn their computer on and off isnt building pc's

Give it time, its not the work its the ppl, car ppl often are the shittiest ppl walking this planet. And you dont have to be good at anything but managing money to have a shop for a long time in this market, plenty of shitty shops messing up cars open for years.

NickAtNite 12-20-2021 05:19 PM

lol. You're quite the pessimist, man. I don't work with the end users. I would probably hate my job and lose that passion if I did 'cause you're right, people suck. I'm on the server and networking side of things. More fun. Less BS. Much better pay. There are ways to enjoy an overlap in hobby and career if you play your cards right.

C.R.A.Y. 12-21-2021 07:48 AM

Just honesty. Thats like saying you work for billing at the dealer and hasn’t ruined your car hobby

theAngryMarmot 12-21-2021 10:27 AM

Sounds like your in the wrong end of the industry.

I didn't leave the Hot-Rod / Custom shops due to the customers - I left cause the dildo shop owners. I still do work for a bunch of my previous customers (as well as a local enthusiast group) and never have a bad experience. They both pay what I ask, and aren't in a hurry unless the car needs to be done for something like the GNRS or Autorama.

I still get people calling wanting a full build - but have to turn them down as I don't have the facilities, and it looks like after the first of the year I am doing some more magazine builds (which aren't ever as nice as they look in the photos..... lol) but working with these two editors is always a great time.

You experience isn't the industry as a whole - 99% of my customers at the shops I used to work at were fantastic - but I was dealing with / building cars for people who used to tell me how you can't weigh money in 100lb bushels to count it because it absorbs too much moisture and dirt and will throw the numbers off (This was seriously a conversation I was having with a customer I built a car for - he would come in and pay his $250k+ bills in old, stinky cash.)

The higher you move up the disposable income pole with customers - the better, easier they are to deal with. That is why I skipped working at dealers, normal repair shops, tuning shops, etc - and went straight for the ultra-high end stuff.

C.R.A.Y. 12-21-2021 11:53 AM

We make more money now that we turned away from the lengthy builds. chasing customers for money so you can progress on their car is a job in itself. In and out simple bolt ons, or blower install and tune and out the door. I know several in the industry doing 6-7 figure builds all the time and they hate it. Im ok making 6 figures a year spending 10-20 hours a week doing actual work.

4dr_ed3 12-22-2021 12:34 PM

All my work is referral based. I turn away the “cheap customer “ who wants to do things half way and also ask for a discount for no good reason.
I also do 95% normal repair and maintenance and not much performance aftermarket part installs. I have done a few but only because customer is willing to pay to do it right. In the year I’ve been open I only had 2 bad experiences with customers. They were not referred to me and they were wanting to cut corners and so I decided I’d never break my rules again to be a nice guy.
Other than that my customers have been great and have referred many my way. I figure if I suck at what I do my business should close. If I’m still open and I have customers come back and refer more work my way I must be doing something right.

NickAtNite 12-23-2021 09:33 AM

A better analogy is saying I build and maintain commercial trucks and enjoy my car hobby. If that’s not close enough to my hobby for you then sure, but it’s close enough for me to enjoy doing it and it pays six figures without the stress of running my own business :thumbup:

theAngryMarmot 12-23-2021 12:41 PM

Never have to chase my customers for money, they are usually excited to pay me. I guess I am a lucky one, never have to worry about getting paid, and don't have any headaches with customers. lol.

C.R.A.Y. 12-28-2021 02:22 PM

People will be people, you meet like 2 or 3 decent ones along the way, most are just trash

4dr_ed3 12-30-2021 03:13 PM

I’m with Paul.
For me it’s been the opposite. I’ve only had 2-3 bad apples so far. But I think it’s all in the way you carry your self and how you talk and treat others.

S!K TEG 01-06-2022 02:29 PM

stin1 01-11-2022 02:17 PM

Sooo a dooode who “”allegedly” is responsible of cough Cough missing cars shows up to run bragging rights and what he has accomplished?
Don’t forget that we all know what you are what you are known for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

king06 01-15-2022 11:48 AM

Hi people. Still own Honda. But I daily a truck now. Much more comfortable and better on gas lol.

Working a regular job. Amazon now. Never made the passion a job. I still turn people away that ask me to work on there stuff. No time no energy no passion.

Was close to buying a Dyno......but didn't.

4dr_ed3 01-15-2022 02:51 PM

Get your del son done already!!!

GT489 01-25-2022 04:20 PM

Currently in NY, still have my two Integras and old SHO. Hopefully will move back to AZ soon. Hate it here.

1990db1 01-27-2022 05:19 AM

shit man, i forgot about this place cause of the past few years being a fuckin blur. I still have my DB1 but it needs a LOT of work. engine needs a rebuild, i need to melt down the cylinder head that's on it cause i discovered that it's fuckin cursed. caused low oil pressure and it took out some bearings, other shit.

My daily's an 02 qx4 now. I've had multiple people try and buy my DB1 but that fucker is way too rare these days for me to give it up despite how ragged and beat to hell it is. Especially that oem lip spoiler.

C.R.A.Y. 01-29-2022 09:18 AM

tell me you work for door dash without telling me

Colten79 01-31-2022 12:34 PM

:lmao: