AZHT.net

AZHT.net (http://www.azht.net/forum/index.php)
-   Member's Rides (http://www.azht.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   1992 Accord LX Sedan (http://www.azht.net/forum/showthread.php?t=202923)

mar_phi6 02-13-2016 11:59 PM

What happen to your old accord?

4dr_ed3 02-14-2016 06:37 AM

Junked it. But by than I met my wife and was about to get married so I bought my blazer and didn't have a Honda for a while. We lived in a town house so we didn't have alot of parking. It wasn't until we moved to a house that i bought another Honda.

4dr_ed3 02-18-2016 11:09 PM

So I started noticing my car temp hasn't been working correctly. First thought was sensor needed to be changed. Had one laying around. No difference. Decided to change thermostat...... There was no thermostat... While installing new thermostat I saw some leaks coming from some of the coolant lines going to tb,iacv and back of block. The water lines were completely hard and broke when I moved them. Changed all those out. Changed out the cheap autoloight spark plugs the car came with for some ngks.
I also ordered some new interior door handles because these are broken along with the door panels. I'll need to hit up a junk yard soon to get a few pieces

4dr_ed3 02-20-2016 02:16 PM

So I went down to the jy to find some misc stuff. I came across an EX accord that was 5 speed. I decided to forget about the other stuff and scoop this up. I know the current transmission is on its way out and I'm nervous about that so I decided that since I had the cash to get it now and hold off on the other stuff.

It's not a ton better than the trans that I have now but it's another transmission none the less. I think only 3rd 4th and 5th are slightly shorter but not anything to brag about.

Chuck Chainz 02-20-2016 02:47 PM

Let's race!

king06 02-20-2016 10:36 PM

First clutch I did was my accord, did it all myself and I don't remember the shifter cables at all!. Weird. I'm jelly

4dr_ed3 02-21-2016 02:22 PM

The water pump took a dump on me yesterday aswell so I'm trying to fix that now. It's a PITB to much stuff in the way just to change it out

4dr_ed3 02-23-2016 06:35 PM

After a couple days the water pump and IM gasket was all replaced. Reset base timing. I also cleaned the ports when the manifold was off. It was so badly caked with gooeyness and nastiness. Took a good while to do but in the end it was worth it.
I'm sure this water pump was the original. It's a Honda pump and I don't previous owner spent money on oem parts with all the issues the car had

Also bought some new door handles, picked up a shift boot and shifter from the junk yard from a newer accord. Fits good

4dr_ed3 02-26-2016 08:45 PM

Big shout out to AZHT. You saved me from having to sirens $100+ I didn't have.

I bought an alternator from autozone a few years back when I had my other accord. It had lifetime warranty. HT alternator just went out today. I couldn't remember my old phone number I had back than. Than I thought maybe I tried selling something back than. Lucky I did and Azht still had the number. Got the alternator swapped out and runs good

Littlejon1378 02-26-2016 10:12 PM

I wanna see progress pics pretty pls

4dr_ed3 03-06-2016 06:54 PM

Finally got moved into my new place and the garage is about 75% the way I want. I've been wanting to split my accord transmission for a while now so I got down and dirty.

The bearings in the trans really made things difficult. It took me like 3 hours to separate.

I will inspect during the week. All this moving/cleaning/fixing the house has me super tired.

mar_phi6 03-10-2016 02:01 PM

All this make me wanna tinker with my accord again!

4dr_ed3 03-13-2016 10:14 PM

Took a closer look at the trans today. Found one syncro spring in pretty bad shape. It was almost like it wasn't even there. Also the 2-3 selector was pretty wore down on the same side the syncro spring was pretty much gone. Everything else looked good. Either way I'm planning on getting new springs, synchros and the 2-3 selector. And some of the bearings aswell

Chuck Chainz 03-14-2016 12:20 AM

My transcwas originally missing 3rd or 4th gear synchro spring, and another was kinda chewed up a bit.
Are you getting new bearings as well?
If recommend at least the shaft bearings on both ends.

4dr_ed3 03-14-2016 08:50 AM

I was thinking of getting a whole rebuild kit on it from synchrothech but i dont know if i wanna spend that much on a f trans. just the synchros and springs is going to be about 200-250

4dr_ed3 04-08-2016 02:06 PM

So this car is turning out to be a project of its own. This week its been over heating on me. The original radiator i believe had a crack and the previous owner gettofied it. Well anyways the radiator pretty much blew up from the top tank where that crack was. So i said ok no big deal ill use my half sized radiotor i bought when i first did my turbo in my other cb7. Well it worked for a week. It started to over heat again. Dont have a spare vehicle so i took out the thermostat. The cars comes up to temp but still seems to be over heating.

When i first got the car i found out real quick that the t stat was missing and the wp went out. Those were replaced.

So now im thinking maybe the head gasket is blown. I have no white smoke out the rear, and its loosing coolant somewhere. I experienced something like this before in my impala. Head gasket was blown but it was pressurizing the coolant system causing the coolant hoses to pop off.

So this week im pulling the head off first to make sure the coolant passages arent blocked because the inside of the coolant passages there is alot of build up and red crud.
While im at it ill be installing an a6 cam i have and also a a6 intake manifold. It shouldnt be extremely different but should be a tad bit nicer to drive. Also will try and find a good radiotor at the junk yard if i can

4dr_ed3 04-11-2016 11:37 AM

After a good steady weekend of wrenching, the accord is vack up and running good.

I wish I could have taken more pictures but I just wanted to get this thing done.
Heres one pic of what the head gasket and gead looked like

This was even adter a good wipe down

Anyways. It took a good while to clean everything up the way I wanted. Took it out for a little test run this morning. It's quite a bit more peppier with the a6 cam and IM. I have the a6 computer but im I'm not running the iab's so I dont want a cel for not having the little black box in.

I also took some time this morning to add a legend lip ontinto the car. Gives it a nice little touch. I'm starting to fall for this new daily. It still has a ways to go but its not vad for now.

4dr_ed3 04-19-2016 10:18 AM

Small update:

So ive been wanting to rebuild this ex trans i got because i know my current trans is on its way out. Long story short i finally decided to join a few facebook groups for buy/sell honda parts since CL seems to be pretty dead aswell. Anyways I found a guy selling an M2A4 trans that was "stuck in 3rd gear" for $40. I pretty much new it was probably much more than just a 3rd gear issue. But since it was only $40 i figured i could save some stuff from the trans.

Got home and noticed a good size hole in the clutch housing side just infront of the Diff area. So was a little bummed but eh $40. Anyways after separating it all and cleaning up the trans from metal/aluminum shards, i found a 12mm socket pretty chewed up. after inspecting. there is no damage to any of the gears, or the diff. I noticed that most of the shards and stuff was in the area of where the hole in the trans was. and it was underneath the diff. like where the vss would go...

i was really confused how this happened. i was thinking maybe they hit something while driving, but where did the 12mm socket come from? i tried asking the guy nicely, just because i was curious and he just said he didnt know what happen and that his "mechanic" tried to fix it but couldnt, so he got a new trans.

So i basically need a different case. i dont know much about h/f trans housing like b series so i took the guts out of the M2A4 trans and put them in the H2U5 trans case and it all fit very nicely. Im still searching to find if this will work but i did check some part numbers and they sharethe same back half housing. they have different part numbers for the clutch housing, but everything seem to fit with out getting stuck.

But anyways thats whats new.

4dr_ed3 05-02-2016 04:31 PM

Because of how jacked up my sleeves looked on the f22 I really have no idea how long this motor will last. So before it does I went ahead and got this. It was low miles and the car had been wrecked so I knew the engine was good.
Short block

That was a couple weeks ago.

This weekend I went and picked up an F22A6 complete head. No intake manifold
Also got some Accord Wagon NISSIN calipers and 25T brackets. So that I can upgrade to the 11.1" rotors as well.
Spare complete obd1 dizzy W/internal coil for the f series
Very clean looking starter (looks new)
Brake master cylinder (looks new)

Most parts I took off of a very clean 94 prelude that looks like it had just got there. Not sure why it was there. Wasn't wrecked. The engine was clean and all the parts I got looked brand new. Only thing I could think of was the clutch was done. After I took the starter off it smelled really bad like burnt clutch.

Anyways. The plan is to either keep the F23a bottom end as is, rebuild the head I just got. Get some better springs. And an aftermarket cam. Still not sure on what IM I'll use.

Or throw some k20a2 or A3 pistons in it and do all the other stuff with head as well.

A2 pistons will be around 12:1 comp
A3 pistons will be about 11:0 comp

I've seen this hybrid with the stock bottom end with a f22 head with some simple mods put down a good 209 whp and 193 tq

4dr_ed3 05-23-2016 06:17 PM

I've been mia for a bit, will be off work for about another 2 weeks. Decided to use my time to clean up the m2a4 transmission guts. Broke down the main shaft gear set. Cleaned everything up. It was filthy. I'll post pics later. There was some other issues I ran into but after some good ole elbow grease and time, got everything on the mainshaft squared away. I'll move onto the counter shaft tomorrow or Wednesday.

4dr_ed3 05-25-2016 08:58 PM

After a few days. Pretty much done.
I still need to tq down the ring gear bolts to spec but I wanted to our it all together first make sure it shifts correctly into all gears. If everything is good I'll pull the cover off tq the bolts lube everything a little better and seal it up.

king06 05-26-2016 01:34 AM

yay.

4dr_ed3 05-27-2016 01:55 PM

All done!!!

4dr_ed3 05-28-2016 07:00 PM

With the long weekend I decided that I was going swap in the trans. But I thought a little more and decided if I'm going to do all that work I may as well swap in the f23 hybrid I'm doing.

So here we go.

Before I started

After a few hours.

It's pretty much ready to drop. Just need to remove the axles and that's it.

king06 05-30-2016 06:54 PM

I want a 93 4 door white.

4dr_ed3 05-31-2016 10:25 AM

Swap is pretty much done already. Just need to find an a4/a6 header or some kind of used aftermarket header.

4dr_ed3 06-06-2016 04:45 PM

Upgraded from my 10.1 inch disk brakes to Accord wagon 11" rotors

Before

After

Also installed a new passenger side axle. Prelude shifter, a6 4-2-1 header to an exhaust I put together because I was bored

Chuck Chainz 06-06-2016 09:06 PM

Nice upgrades!

4dr_ed3 06-06-2016 09:35 PM

Thank you sir. Haven't had a chance to drive it yet with all the things I've done, but from what I read the f23 bottom end will yield me some nice tq. 86/97 vs 85/95 and just a tad bit more compression. From 8:8.1 to around 9:5.1 ish. Not that it makes a big difference with out a tune but I can dig the tq.

4dr_ed3 06-08-2016 02:00 PM

Now that I have the Accord up and running smoothly, I took the time to clean up the garage very nicely and moved some things around so I could fit both my projects in the garage