AZHT.net

AZHT.net (http://www.azht.net/forum/index.php)
-   THUNDERDOME (http://www.azht.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=191)
-   -   Street Car .... or Street registered Drag Car?? (http://www.azht.net/forum/showthread.php?t=199898)

Crono 12-05-2014 04:16 PM

If you didn't get Chuck Chainz' post, this was an Initial D reference :D

CAPTAIN CAAAAAAAVEMAN 12-05-2014 05:17 PM

So what about all the drag cars that are in street classes? Domestic or import, if they meet the rules for that class, would they be street cars?

IMO, street car = registered and insured. Because if those happen then your street legal, then your a street car, ya!

theAngryMarmot 12-05-2014 05:25 PM

So, in your opinion - if I take my Miata - put a full cage, track seat,harnesses, run on race gas, have hoosiers on all four, have a "track" alignment, trailer it to every event, but leave the carpet in it - and drive it on the street perhaps 25 miles a year. And in order to safely drive it on the street - I have to change the seat, tires, fuel, EMS map, install an exhaust, etc - so what you are say is that it is not a purpose built track car - it is a street car due to it merely having plates and insurance?

The way I look at it - it is a usage defined definition. Majority of the cars use is track related = track car. Majority of the use of the car is on the street = street car.

So this is a street car in your opinion then, it has a plate and insurance :

I could use the claw end of a hammer to loosen and tighten flathead screws. It is a PITA and lets say I do it twice a year. Does this make my hammer a "screwdriver" forever now?

Lets say Johnny eats deep fried twinkies every meal, every day.Randomly one day he has a salad. Does this mean that Johnny's diet is now completely "healthy?"

I mean this whole thing is a battle of semantics and opinion, but it is an interesting debate due to the fact it has been a debate since the first track was built.

Colten79 12-05-2014 05:46 PM

I feel like IF his car didn't feel that great daily driving it, it's because it's an old Honda. Not because of the suspension setup..

theAngryMarmot 12-05-2014 06:06 PM

Funny thing is I never said his car didn't ride well.

Strange Engineering makes a quality product. He says his coilovers are not drag specific (even though in Strange Engineering's catalog they are listed under "Drag Racing" and not "Street/Strip." Yes, I have a SE catalog. I installed large quantities of their products over the years. I would bet they do ride nice on the street.

I just said Spherical suspension links/bushes/etc transmit more NVH and kickback (which is a fact.)

From Kingpin Machine's own website :

Referring to OEM bushings :

Race car get race car parts.

EVOKLR 12-05-2014 06:08 PM

Lol he didn't!

AZ_CIVIC 12-05-2014 06:11 PM

Bro don't go there, just don't go there LOL!! It doesn't matter what you say at this point. We just have to believe in his opinion. Remember he is not saying he is right or what he is saying is fact, just his opinion.

CAPTAIN CAAAAAAAVEMAN 12-05-2014 06:12 PM

So about the drag classes titled street or sportsman or et street or whatver where they have to be registered?

There just lying/marketing towards fans who think they have similar cars and that stinks, dont call it a street class or make it need to be registered if its a track car.

AZ_CIVIC 12-05-2014 06:13 PM

Colten do you know who Dave Chan is from Import Power House?

theAngryMarmot 12-05-2014 06:19 PM

Because racing rulebooks are cut and dry. In their mind plate and registration = "street car."

They can't enforce or monitor a "must be driven XXXXX miles on the street a year" kind of rule.

The closest thing to that kind of rule is Hot Rod's Drag Week - where the cars are required to drive to and from the various tracks. However - not one of the contestants ever says "It was great, nice, and comfortable driving our purpose built track cars on the street!"

Sometimes I even hate having stiff poly bushings and mounts in my Red Car. Roads like Pinnacle Peak to the west of I17 are freaking horrible with a stiff set of bushings.

If AZ_CIVIC drove his car on the street more than the time he spent prepping, trailering, tuning, and drag racing his car that I would have no problem calling it a "street" car. I still woun't recommend he drive with a kirkey seat on the street, or that he use drag slicks/wheels - but remember the basis of my opinion is a "percentage of use" kind of thing.

CAPTAIN CAAAAAAAVEMAN 12-05-2014 06:21 PM

LOOK what paul said! :eek:

theAngryMarmot 12-05-2014 06:23 PM

Why don't you post the entire quote instead of picking and choosing ;)

Don't go misrepresenting comments like someone else in here :)

CAPTAIN CAAAAAAAVEMAN 12-05-2014 06:24 PM

IMO it looks better how i paraphrased it

AZ_CIVIC 12-05-2014 06:26 PM

In 2001 my CRX got smashed by a drunk idiot, so I bought Dave Chans old race CRX. It had no interior except a dashboard and two Recaro seat that were bolted to the floor. Dave Chan is like 140 pound 5'6 asian guy who had like a 29 inch waist. His car also had a bolt in cage. I dropped a fully built b20 vtec motor in it with a Clutch Master twin disk.

That was my only car and I drove it everyday everywhere. Shit back then I was poor and couldn't even afford car insurance. I use to drive it and tow it to the track bring slicks with me, and drop the exhaust. That car was damn uncomfortable and I couldn't even fit in the seats right but I still drove it everyday but towed it to the track one in awhile because when you go to the track shit breaks. Why spend 100 plus dollars and hours waiting for a tow truck if you can tow it.

My Civic is more legal than my CRX was, only difference was I had to drive it everyday because it was my only car. If I was forced to drive my Civic everyday I could, I wouldn't be any worse than driving my CRX or half the other cars on this site with no ac/ps, slammed to the ground on offsets rubbing fenders.

All I would have to do to make my car drive on the street everyday if I had to is run e85, there is a station close to my house and also close to my work if I had to drive there. I have a set of regular rims, I even have them on the car now. My car is registered and insured, with tail lights, headlights turn signals, hazards, all the electrical is still there my windows roll up and down. I can live with sitting in a Kirkey seat if I was able to fit in Dave Chans seat that was fit for a guy with a 28 inch waist LOL.

theAngryMarmot 12-05-2014 06:27 PM

Well of course it does, it suits your opinion better lol!

"When all else fails, manipulate the data"

I would love to see AZ_CIVIC drive his car on the street more. That would mean I would have a chance to see it.

I DD (when I say DD - I mean my home to work trip was about 2 miles round trip) a 91 CRX with a unsprung clutch, 7lb flywheel, plexi windows, roll bar, racing seat & harnesses, no exhuast, 4.40 gears, 13" rims w/drag tires, ridiculous spring rates, and an angry cammed up high compression B16 in it. I drove it the 50+ miles one way to the nearest drag strip every weekend. Had to go to the local airport (30+ miles) to get low-lead AV gas for it till I figured out how to mix my own "race" gas.

That lasted about two months before I bought another car as a DD. Still never referred to the CRX as a "street car" - even when I was DD'ing it.

CAPTAIN CAAAAAAAVEMAN 12-05-2014 06:31 PM

Az civic, was that crx a burnt orange color?

And as far as e85, i have a friend with ngv civic, dude has to drive to airport just to fill up. Now thats practical :confused:

AZ_CIVIC 12-05-2014 06:35 PM

The burnt Orange CRX was Eddie's which ended up getting painted grey in like 2003. I have a old video of my hatchback racing Eddie's NA CRX he ran an 11.3 in that pass I have. On the same video I have me racing the SRD turbo H22 when it was a turbo car running 10'8s I think.

AZ_CIVIC 12-05-2014 06:37 PM

The Crx I bought from Dave was white with black unpainted Wing West ground effects. It was a shell when I bought it. Before that I had a Blue CRX from 98-01. I also bought my 96 Civic hatch from Dave which is still shown on their website from 03.

Colten79 12-05-2014 07:10 PM

I've seen AZ_Civic's car plenty of times.. I'd call it a street car.. I don't see anything that's outrageous about it..

Spec C 12-05-2014 07:13 PM

Hater.

Colten79 12-05-2014 07:14 PM

But I bleach my butthole, ask Jason..

AZ_CIVIC 12-05-2014 07:20 PM

I only do that on special occasions.

Chuck Chainz 12-05-2014 09:39 PM

I remember that crx, I believe it had fiberglass doors as well, correct?

Colten79 12-05-2014 10:33 PM

That's kind of a women thing of you to do... :031:

Jason.AZ1 12-05-2014 10:43 PM

Wrd, he does it every morning before work.

Either you do it every day or none at all otherwise its just gay bruh bruh.

What a homo right?

Sales@RC's Garage 12-05-2014 10:56 PM

OMG this thread is back! yay

theAngryMarmot 12-06-2014 11:04 AM

And see, some people wanted me to remove it. We are ten pages in already............

Jason.AZ1 12-06-2014 05:08 PM

Az_civic car is a safe street/drag car
Paul's car is a drag car cause it's not safe!
It has no roof!!!!!!!!!!!! Therefore not a street car

AZ_CIVIC 12-06-2014 06:27 PM

Even safer LOL, if I roll the car the roof won't cave in with the cage, the window net will keep my arms and head safe and the 5 point harness with keep me in the seat. So does that make my civic like 5 star safety worth?

Jason.AZ1 12-06-2014 06:36 PM

And Paul so tall his head sticks over the windshield!