AZHT.net

AZHT.net (http://www.azht.net/forum/index.php)
-   THUNDERDOME (http://www.azht.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=191)
-   -   plastidip (http://www.azht.net/forum/showthread.php?t=199699)

Icyboiiii 11-11-2014 11:38 PM

plastidip

Anyone thought about plastidipping there full car? I think I might dip my hatch for a cheap fix to my sundfadding problem till I can afford to get a good paint job. Anyone dipped there car? I know people dip there wheels all the time

CAPTAIN CAAAAAAAVEMAN 11-12-2014 04:03 AM

That one guy everyone hates did or was gonna dip his miata not sure if he actually did tho

Icyboiiii 11-12-2014 07:16 AM

Lol alrighy maybe I'll do like a review on it and everything if I do it

Chuck Chainz 11-12-2014 07:24 AM

9 times outta 10 it looks trashy
I say forego the dip and actuall paint it.

theAngryMarmot 11-12-2014 08:37 AM

I was going to dip my other Miatar, but havent yet.

If you just do the "basic" crap you buy at Home Depot - it will look like crap. Spray can plastidip looks worse the spray can paint.

If you get the stuff that is made to be applied with a HVLP or similar - it can look pretty good. I have personally seen a couple cars that looked great. You just have to do it right. A lot of people base an opinion on what they have seen out of a spray can, from stuff you get at the hardware store.

You put 5-8 coats on and then it is thick enough to easily peel - yet durable enough you won't destroy it by washing/driving.

Some of the colors/etc they have are awesome. They have metallic, pearl, satin, gloss, etc.

I have three gallons of Dark Grey Anthracite Metallic sitting around. Comes pre-thinned and ready to spray. I ordered the three gallons, a 1/4 gallon of the repair kit, and two spray bottles of the pre-dip prep spray and it was ~350 bucks with shipping from Florida.

UPS crushed my gallons, and delivered the spray bottles. shipped replacement gallons immediately. They have nice customer service.

They even have color changing ones now.

theAngryMarmot 11-12-2014 08:38 AM

Icyboiiii 11-12-2014 07:51 PM

Yeah I'm thinking about doing white with an hvlp I know the cans look like you primered your car and left it. I like there black cherry I think it looks good!

Alika80 11-14-2014 09:19 AM

We dipped my friends te72 Corolla. It came out ok. I think next time the coats have to be a little heavier. Got a little bit of orange peel, I've read its from being to conservative with the gun settings. It is not bad at all to spray. I've painted before and I'm sure anyone could use the dip from DYC. Mask the windows, peel the rest.

Icyboiiii 11-14-2014 04:05 PM

How many gallons did you end up putting on the corolla?

91DAKID 11-15-2014 12:30 AM

Dont plassidip your car man they say some crap like it will peel off nice and easy but it destroys the texture and coat of the original paint and leaves a ruff surface, If your worried about paint already i know a guy who can paint your car for 300 bucks with 30 basic colors you could choose from its "maaco" quality of course. But it would be better than issuing the plassidip crap.

In actuality paint should be the last thing you do build your car first and then save for a legit paint job oem respray of the color that your car is.

theAngryMarmot 11-15-2014 01:41 AM

That is funny. Everyone I know who has dipped their car, and all my samples have had zero effect on the paint. I had 8 coats of black on the bottom half of my other Miata for over a year. Zero effect when I removed it.

Instead of "some say" how about you leave the advice to people who actually have some experience in the matter?

Hrmmm

Explain to me how a shitty quality paint job using sub-par paint and basically no prep - that will last a year at most is better than a non-damaging removable coating that is easier to repair, and probably more durable?

I would rather spend 300 bucks on a removable coating, than spend that on a craptastic paint job and just add yet another layer of shit to sand off or chemically strip when/if I decide to actually put a real paint job on the car.

91DAKID 11-15-2014 12:11 PM

So your saying plassidip doesnt fade? I just hate the texture of how the plassi looks.
I'd pay 300 to get a basic looking paint job over looking trashy and putting that dip on my car.
I'm saving to get a real paint job for my car guy.
But nice sounds like you have a half paint/plassi fresh two tone paint job ese

theAngryMarmot 11-15-2014 12:22 PM

It isn't two tone. Not a single person noticed for over a year.

Sorry but I will take Plastidip over a 300 dollar paint job, and yes the Plastidip will hold up better.

Go ahead and pay $300 bucks for that paint job, and then in less than a year watch it start flaking, fade, and good luck with orange peel and keeping it shiny. I have seen plenty of 300-1000 dollar paint jobs - they all sucked. They suck even more when you regret not doing it right, and then decided to do it right and you have to remove it.

Plastidip at least comes off easy, and is easy to repair.

ALL 300 dollar paint jobs are crap. I wouldn't put that quality job on a golf cart, skipper. Funny how you defend a 300 dollar paint job, yet are "saving for a real paint job." Also hilarious that you say you don't like the "texture" of plastidip - yet think a 300 dollar backyard spray job will be glassy smooth. Lol.

AZ_CIVIC 11-15-2014 12:37 PM

If you're planning on going through the process of actually spraying the car you might as well buy real base coat and clear coat.

theAngryMarmot 11-15-2014 01:19 PM

Properly painting is better. But I would rather roll with Plastidip or faded paint then pile on a crappy 300 dollar paint job on top of existing bad paint.

AZ_CIVIC 11-15-2014 01:31 PM

Give me 400 bucks worth of materials and I can do a damn good paint job. BUT that's me doing all my own work. If this dude doesn't know how to spray a car no matter what he uses it will probably look like crap. If you can't do your own work better to save up and get a professional.

theAngryMarmot 11-15-2014 01:35 PM

By the time you factor in prep materials, chemicals, paint, tools, etc - you are in for quite a bit more than $400 dollars. If you have the tools and whatnot already, it isn't too expensive - just a bunch of time.

91dakid's buddy who is charging $300 dollars - I can only imagine the horror show that paint job is.

1990db1 11-15-2014 03:56 PM

Kid rolls up in his beater crx and unloads a case of spray paint and asks "this the car you want done mang?"

Sent from my SPH-L900 using JellyBombed Tapatalk 2

AZ_CIVIC 11-15-2014 04:18 PM

I got all those tools so I'm good LOL, other dude I have no clue.

SiR Mikey 11-15-2014 06:06 PM

If I remember correctly, someone on here plastidipped their car and it ended up tearing the paint underneath off in large sheets. I want to say it was Bryants s2k but I could be wrong.

Spec C 11-15-2014 06:28 PM

Do you know if the paint was OEM or a repainted panel?

I think I would go vinyl wrap if I had to choose between the two. It is more labor intensive however.

SiR Mikey 11-15-2014 07:14 PM

I don't remember. I agree on the vinyl though. I got a roll of vvivid off ebay for $275 shipped. Most people can't tell it's a wrap until i tell them, and my girl and I did it ourselves. Held up this entire summer so far with 0 issues.

theAngryMarmot 11-15-2014 08:25 PM

It must have been a pre-existing condition.

The paint on my black car is pretty horribly done and I had no issues peeling off plastidip.

94gay-lude 11-18-2014 12:26 PM

Fuck you op

91DAKID 11-19-2014 02:52 PM

Every plassi dip job ive seen has been ruff and just not smooth at all. And the one time i helped peel it off paint came with it just like Sir Mikey said but never seen a clean job finished in person like if you were google plassi dip.

theAngryMarmot 11-19-2014 04:03 PM

So it goes from "some say"

to "Ive seen"

lol.

91DAKID 11-20-2014 01:06 AM

The 'cagapalo" starter kit and that includes plassidip and a fresh set of HIDz...

theAngryMarmot 11-20-2014 07:40 AM

None of the people I know who plastidipped have HIDs. Except the M3, that came with them from the factory.....

Are you allergic to spelling it properly or something? I still want to see this "quality" $300 dollar respray.

S!K TEG 11-20-2014 08:02 AM

Turned out the Miata I just got was plastidipped black.The paint doesn't look ruff, faded or anything, still looks oem.

Only complain I have is, I'm still finding pastidip in crevices of the car that is hard to get to with my finger.

91DAKID 11-20-2014 01:45 PM

Hold on finding the pictures now.