AZHT.net

AZHT.net (http://www.azht.net/forum/index.php)
-   AZHT Lounge (http://www.azht.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   cox vs centurylink Vs aol vs midget with fidget spinner (http://www.azht.net/forum/showthread.php?t=204041)

Jason.AZ1 07-22-2017 12:49 AM

cox vs centurylink Vs aol vs midget with fidget spinner

Soooo who has better internet for the money/speed

LS-S DA9 07-22-2017 05:40 AM

webTV

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

CAPTAIN CAAAAAAAVEMAN 07-22-2017 08:56 AM

Juno

stin1 07-22-2017 10:42 AM

My mom has century link in Prescott. For her it has been constant problems. They often blame her equipment. I thought it was maybe just because of her area however I have heard similar stories in the valley. My area recently got century link as our second option of service. I haven't even considered them because of the stories I have been told.

LS-S DA9 07-22-2017 11:14 AM

bingo... and only week day support

cox is by far better but do some research and purchase your own modem and router instead of renting their base junk, you'll have less issues also

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

ossman14 07-22-2017 09:45 PM

I'm looking to quit Cox just because they're shady. Cox never told me they were going to continually charge a $10 rental for an $80 modem. Not that I'd expect it for free but their 3rd party installers dont have all the correct info. So I was never given the option others were to pay off up front. And it's been almost 2 years now. And they refuse to rectify the situation

Century link wasn't much better but my only complaint at the time was they couldn't offer more than 20mbps. Never had issues with equipment though. But they now have upwards of 100mbps which I'm considering seeing as I can get cable and tv through century link for the same price I'm paying cox for just internet

Jason.AZ1 07-23-2017 02:20 AM

So aol it is?

CAPTAIN CAAAAAAAVEMAN 07-23-2017 07:33 AM

If your after the higest speed its cox. Sure they have some shady ptactices but what corporation doesn't?

I just redid my agreement, still grandfathered into a bundle package they make you keep the landline in order to bundles lol i never use it, doent even stay plugged in. I watch alot of hd cable, and the kids stream on their tablets constantly. I only have 50mbps and apparently they dont even offer that any more, the lowest is 100mbps, then again thats just what I was told by their loyalty dept haha.

I'm interested in hearing the century link cable offering I didn't think they had up to 100
Is there truth to the cable co. claims of dsl having issues in adverse weather?

rudsone 07-24-2017 11:19 AM

We have both a landline and internet services thru centurylink and both are garbage

ossman14 07-24-2017 12:39 PM

Maybe I won't be switching to centurylink then...

king06 07-24-2017 01:20 PM

Had Century link back when it was that other name. It would cut off all the time, I remember shitty customer service, but it was a long time ago. Been with Cox for like 8-9 years. Never had a problem, no hidden charges. Bought my modem router so no monthly payments bullshit.

I get "150" megs for $70

Jason.AZ1 07-25-2017 10:21 AM

Cox, wants $58 x24 month for 100 mbs download/etc with 10 mbs upload internet
with 10 streaming channels then after 24m it goes to like $120 month. Then they want $150 for install which I'm guessing is to what plug my modem/router to the wall lmao

CAPTAIN CAAAAAAAVEMAN 07-25-2017 02:08 PM

Its not a contract at least? There are usually free install specials too, but im pretty sure you can pick up the equipment from a cox store and install yourself, then call customer service and have them switch on.

And it doesnt have to go up to 120 after 24 months, you can call before then and renegotiate with the loyalty dept. They're who find more deals to keep you "happy"

Jason.AZ1 07-25-2017 02:19 PM

Yeah I just sign up for that no contract and they gonna ship the router/mod to my casa.
When the 24m is almost up I'll call and "threaten" to switch company's and see what they'll give me to be "happy" lmao customer service/retail sucks soooo bad hahahaha
Just gotta pay a $20 activation fee after I hook everything up.

I will say they had one bundle with tv internet and something security/smart home thing that didn't sound bad but I don't wanna spend $130-160 for that shit a month when I have my own camera system and shit lol

ossman14 07-25-2017 05:08 PM

They told me I would have to buy a whole new modem to get the rental fee taken off. I'll call to cancel one day. See what they do

Jason.AZ1 07-26-2017 08:13 AM

Yeah cause you don't own the modem you have now broskie

phatman 07-27-2017 07:59 AM

DSL is crap. Complete and utter crap. My sister tried it once, the modem status light stayed red and Century Link wouldn't own up on it.

Have a friend who can only do Century Link. When I got it all setup, we had to talk with tech support for a while. Lost count of how many times that the modem wasn't connected to any phone jacks. Just used the line that came into the network / cable closet. Then we finally found out the modem wasn't compatible.

Cox may be a bit more expensive, but I'll take cable over DSL. Also, as Jason said, you have to buy a modem to get off the modem rental each month.

ossman14 07-28-2017 07:33 PM

Yeah j understand that I was just kissed they never gave me the option of buying it outright when I set up the service 2 years ago. But I switched to a cable/internet package since my wife will go crazy without tv in maternity leave. And it's going to come out to less than what I was paying for just Internet. And I'll buy the modem to drop it even more

phatman 08-01-2017 01:41 PM

Eh, I never cared for the modems Cox provided for lease / sale. My dad bought the Cox modem when he first got cable internet. That modem didn't last long.

Th3 Mugen 08-01-2017 03:25 PM

We have Cox Ultimate Internet only which if i recall is $85 for up to 300 mbps. We provided our own modem/router though. Arris Surfboard with a Asus AC3100 WiFi Router from Fry's Electronics. Not a single issue with anything until i attempt to game off the Wifi. I'll only pull about 50-70 mbps. If I'm hard wired in the console/pc will pull 200+ all day and sometimes peak 300+.

Our Set up is a bit overkill but my lady works from home and we usually have 2 Xboxs, a pc and our phones all running in the evening so we need the higher speeds. I can't wait for Google fiber to become residentially available. Our install guy was saying there might be gig speeds residential in the next few years.

king06 08-01-2017 07:32 PM

Just buy it out right. Fucking scam, just another way to get money out of you. They are cheap too.

Try to install it yourself, if it don't work. Pay. Lol. They tried to charge me $70 when I moved. Fuck them. Plugged it in, called them and it worked.

nO prEssUrE 08-02-2017 11:11 AM

I have some family in Los Angeles where Verizon Fios is available and OMG love that speed, but COX in my area doesn't even offer Ultimate. I have had cox for more then 8 years and of course is a bit better then Century Link when it comes to speeds, but i really dont like it but is "the best choice" for us in the Phoenix area but once everybody has the 1 Gb speeds ( Such Verizon Fios, Google Fiber, Gigablast and Century Link 1 Gb service ) not just few areas like cox has them right now the market will get a bit better because any of those services will make the competitors to drop the cost.

I read few months a go that COX sue City of Tempe because City of Tempe want it to bring Google Fiber, but City of Tempe had a contract with COX still, but never hear again on what happend at the end if Google Fiber was goin to back up City OF Tempe or if just City of Tempe couldn't win that battle, i can't wait till 1 Gb speeds are available for everybody.

phatman 08-02-2017 03:48 PM

Cable companies are just monopolies. Here in Tucson, there is some areas where Cox and Comcast both have lines running through, allowing you to get the lesser of the two evils. Otherwise, it's one cable company, or Century link.