AZHT.net

AZHT.net (http://www.azht.net/forum/index.php)
-   On Topic (http://www.azht.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   Finally, the new NSX - Thoughts? (http://www.azht.net/forum/showthread.php?t=200194)

theAngryMarmot 01-12-2015 02:00 PM

Finally, the new NSX - Thoughts?

Crono 01-12-2015 02:05 PM

It's also AWD.

I don't mind the hybrid powertrain, as electric cars deliver shockingly instant torque. But I do hate that newer supercars are not full on manuals :(

theAngryMarmot 01-12-2015 02:09 PM

The problem with the hybrid powertrains is instant torque.

One of the best things ever when driving is exploiting an engine's power delivery. These hybrid powertrain cars have done away with that in the name of speed.

Sure having 80+ % of your torque available from basically 0 RPMs is great on paper, and I am sure on track - but IMO it sucks a bit of "soul" out of the car (just like flappy-paddle gear boxes do.)

Shame it is AWD too.

king06 01-12-2015 02:14 PM

Looks okay. Honestly, I would have been surprised if it was a manual. Any performance numbers yet?

theAngryMarmot 01-12-2015 02:16 PM

No numbers yet as far as I know.

Crono 01-12-2015 02:16 PM

It's a 3.5L V6 TT generating more than 600hp. It will be production's strongest V6, dethroning the mighty GTR to 2nd place.

Paul. If new cars did what old cars did, nobody would treasure old cars :)
Classic cars are awesome because of that very reason - they're classic

theAngryMarmot 01-12-2015 02:19 PM

I don't want them to do what the old cars have done, I just want them to be a bit more selective with how they apply the new technology, and where.

What fun is a high revving engine that "comes onto the cam" when you can't tell anything because it is overshadowed by electric assist and the true character of the powertrain is masked all in the name of instant torque or flat power delivery?

All these manufacturers seem to be aiming for is maximum attack tract numbers - when the vast majority of these car's time will be spent on the street.

To be honest - if I was shopping in this price range - my first two choices would be either a new Viper or the Jag F-Type (since it can be had with a manual now!)

While both those cars are probably slower than the NSX - I know (for my taste) they would be more fun to drive for "normal" duties.

Crono 01-12-2015 02:26 PM

You want something like the Singer 911 :)

theAngryMarmot 01-12-2015 02:37 PM

I think the perfect new "performance cars" IMO are ones like the new Viper, Z06, F-Type, GT350R, Z28, etc. Ones that give you a choice.

They have advanced technology, but retained the best things about driving a performance car. You are not isolated from the driving experience, and there are driver's aids when/if you need them - yet it is not a car that is "point, shoot, let the computers sort it out."

Cars like the new P1, 918, LaFerrari - all are unparalleled speed and technology wise - however I firmly believe you can have just as much, if not more fun as a driver with a car that is a fraction of the price and not quite as "high tech."

Everyone gets lost in pure performance numbers - when that is a tiny percentage of what makes a car fun to drive. What is the point of having an amazing car that isn't amazing to drive when compared to other (often cheaper) cars.

And I am not being nostalgic - I just think that manufacturers are completely abandoning driver involvement and personality in favor of pure technical speed and achievement.

Flappy paddles, auto-rev matching, AWD, hybrid powertrains, etc - all steps toward making a process automated. Driving a car "spirited" is not a task that should be automated.

Eventually I foresee a shift in this thinking. People will fall out of love with such things as soon as the "new" wears off and they realize they had more fun with more conventional power/drive trains. I think a few manufacturers are already seeing this, and bringing manual transmission back.

Fix.it.again.Tony 01-12-2015 02:48 PM

interior looks like a TSX

that is not the interior of a 150k car

theAngryMarmot 01-12-2015 02:49 PM

Well it isn't the "final" production quality/etc. Things often change.

Crono 01-12-2015 02:58 PM

Have you seen the interior of a GT3RS? :D

Jason.AZ1 01-12-2015 05:43 PM

All new cars are going towards flappy paddles

theAngryMarmot 01-12-2015 05:51 PM

I think the true manual will make a resurgence eventually.

The F-Type wasn't available with a manual at first - now it is.

Chuck Chainz 01-12-2015 06:44 PM

I like the looks, the auto thing is just stupid, at least have an option.

I think it resembles the Audi R8 in several ways.

Also, the older NSX had what looked to be civic/inregra interior, so tsx is step up.

CAPTAIN CAAAAAAAVEMAN 01-12-2015 07:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Looks like a dinka jester from gta5. How did they know?

Bigg Brown 01-12-2015 07:56 PM

It looks cool, but too tall.
I think the really cool thing about the old NSX was how short it was.
It didnt really look like anything else either.

Sales@RC's Garage 01-13-2015 09:18 PM

I am excited. NSX
NSX was New Sportscar eXperimental.

Now it has moved to

New Supercar eXperimental.

And I believe it. It is going to be all new, and will hopefully rewrite the books yet again.

As an NSX owner and enthusiast, I am excited to see what this means for the world of supercars yet again, as we know Honda is divulging so little for a reason....

H22apower 01-18-2015 10:22 AM

Thinking the same thing✋

phatman 01-19-2015 07:44 AM

Paul, you're sounding like James May. What's next? Take down the Nurburgring? xD

I understand your point though. Numbers are just that. Numbers. A car where you can feel the experience is much better that one that outperforms all the others. No point in going for numbers as it's going to make autosport boring.

theAngryMarmot 01-19-2015 08:31 AM

I just don't see the point in making a drivers car that takes all the driving out of the experience.

Would you rather have a car that is 30+% more involving/fun to drive, or a car that is less involving/fun and .2 seconds faster around a race track (something that 99% of these cars will never see?)

Koopa Troopa 01-19-2015 09:50 AM

Because pretty much the only people who can afford that car new generally care about that shit because they love to do nothing more than quote the brochure.

theAngryMarmot 01-20-2015 07:48 AM

Chuck Chainz 01-20-2015 08:01 AM

Dude, that ain't evevn a Cadillac grille
She's aight but she ain't no NSX

theAngryMarmot 01-20-2015 09:19 AM

But she is better than a NSX, she doesn't have a flappy-paddle gearbox.

Koopa Troopa 01-20-2015 09:43 AM

She might...:party2:

theAngryMarmot 01-20-2015 10:30 AM

The marvels of modern surgical technique. I have been fooled before....

Pretty sure she is all woman though. And designs cars. And is pretty good at it = Hot. And I don't even like white chicks.

Chuck Chainz 01-20-2015 10:43 AM

Some times white chicks are black men, is that why?

Mingus_Dew 01-20-2015 11:34 AM

The new one is nice but Still love the old one more some of these new cars coming out I'm just not a fan of most of them I would rather get the old one just because of the manual transmission. Sucks that this one don't have that option

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theAngryMarmot 01-20-2015 01:21 PM

Flappy Paddles = bigger consumer base = quicker sell of the production run + higher priced vehicle + higher cost of service / maintenance + easier computer/traction controls =less liability law suites = bigger consumer base.