AZHT.net

AZHT.net (http://www.azht.net/forum/index.php)
-   AZHT Lounge (http://www.azht.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Hit and RUN <\3 (http://www.azht.net/forum/showthread.php?t=201608)

ilovehisHONDA 06-29-2015 11:31 AM

Hit and RUN <\3

So last week on Thursday around 5:15pm, my fiance and our 3 year old were in our Scion XB and some lady in a Dodge Ram hit them and took off. She actually cut across three lanes on Golf Links to get away. :(

There is enough damage on the hatch of the XB to have to replace it I believe. Such a bummer. Chase called TPD and made a report and has a case number AND someone spotted what fit the exact description of the truck/person driving it and got us a plate #! And in the same area, so it's very likely it could be her.

So today I think he's going to call and give them that info.

Anyone have any info on how these type of things work? We do have full coverage (learned our lessons after both cars stolen circa 2011) but we have not filed a claim as of yet. I guess that is something we would do if/when we track down the driver that hit the xb?

Or do we file now? If anyone has any info/experience with this let me know! Killing time at work and I get on here every now and again to do so.. :)

tony2010 06-29-2015 12:18 PM

Well you should definitely file a claim so you can get your car fixed if your son or wife experienced any sort of personal injury. Also if you have UM (Uninsured Motorist) coverage you should be covered too.

king06 06-29-2015 12:35 PM

Go ahead and file, no need to wait. Give them all the info and let them take care of it. That's whatvyou pay them for. If you have car rental insurance use it.

4dr_ed3 06-29-2015 12:38 PM

Yeah file right away. My mom got hit and person took off. They didn't catch the person but she called right on the spot. Got the money to have it fixed not long after. Maybe a week later.

ilovehisHONDA 06-29-2015 02:58 PM

Well the car is still in driving condition but the rear hatch does need to be replaced. I will update you guys with what I've done with ins and also if the plate number was right! :)

Fix.it.again.Tony 06-29-2015 06:42 PM

You can file your claim as long as you have a police report number, I believe you will be responsible for the deductible, but they might waive it and go after the other party for it.

They will send out the adjuster and they will determine if the car is a total loss or not, then you can opt to receive the check or have it paid directly to body shop.

If the car is totaled, they will cut a check to the lienholder and then you get the remainder. Unless you opt to buy the car back.

I recommend all of you get checked up at the hospital and get a clean bill of health, your insurance should extend out to cover medical bills as well and in case anything arises later down the line you have your documentation NOW.

ANy other questions ask your claim rep who will be assigned to you.

LS-S DA9 06-29-2015 06:50 PM

You need a police report number to make a claim?? Doesn't sound right. If I hit something i own (car or property) why would I call the police? I'd just call insurance and pay my deductible... the police report would be for a claim against THEIR insurance wouldn't it?

ilovehisHONDA 06-29-2015 07:00 PM

Well it was a hit and run so we called the police in hopes they would catch the lady driving down golf links, but they didn't.

And there's no leinholder, we own it out right and we do have a deductible, it's $500. We are kind of just up in the air about what we are going to do. I'm still at work and I don't know what came of Chase giving the possible plate number to TPD.

But fingers crossed that it's the lady and they can at least give her a ticket for a hit and run and we can file with her ins and get the damage repaired. My guess is they would replace the bumper and have to replace/repaint the enitre hatch. I don't believe they would total the car out but there is definitely damage that needs to be repaired.

Also, I would try and go after her ins for replacement of my son's car seat. I read that insurance companies count car seats in accidents as a total loss.

LS-S DA9 06-29-2015 07:12 PM

Yes but Joes statement of NEEDING a police report, I dont know being true... I hope in your case they catch them and you dont have to come out of pocket.

AZ_CIVIC 06-29-2015 08:04 PM

You need a police report if you're claiming someone else busted your shit up. If you messed your own car up from backing up into a garbage can or something you don't need a police report.

LS-S DA9 06-29-2015 08:11 PM

Either way you gotta pay your own deductible if they don't catch the other person
And it's still a claim

CAPTAIN CAAAAAAAVEMAN 06-29-2015 08:40 PM

Nvm

tony2010 06-29-2015 08:51 PM

You don't need a police report to claim a hit and run. I work for a personal injury attorney and these type of cases happen all the time. As long as you have collision coverage that will cover your vehicle damages. If you want medical bills paid and what not it is always good to have Med-pay and UM coverage.

advert 06-30-2015 07:01 AM

If you have the plate the police should be able to get them. I had a hit and run about 6 months ago and they went and picked the girl up. She had the car parked in the driveway and the damage was obvious. Was pretty straight forward from there

Fix.it.again.Tony 06-30-2015 07:29 AM

well then I guess DMV.org is wrong

ilovehisHONDA 06-30-2015 09:43 AM

Well for some reason, Chase didn't get to call and report what may be the plate number.

I think he's going to try and call today and maybe they can at least go and question the lady. She should at least have some minor front bumper damage. Big truck vs slammed xb so we will see. I'm 100% sure our xb sustained more damage due to the height of the truck vs the xb.

LS-S DA9 06-30-2015 09:43 AM

No you at only reading what you want.. it says. Police report (if applicable)..

ilovehisHONDA 06-30-2015 09:46 AM

My only question here for the debate on police report vs no police report is why wouldn't you call the police if someone hit you then took off?

Unless of course you're ridin dirty with no ins yourself or maybe no license, then I understand. But other than that, there's literally no reason to not call and make a report.

LS-S DA9 06-30-2015 11:14 AM

No my debate was you do not NEED one to file a claim. On a hit and run or anything not done by you, you'd be stupid to not file a police report lol.

Chuck Chainz 06-30-2015 01:04 PM

always file a police report kiddos

Atomic-Orange-Turbo-Sloth 06-30-2015 06:48 PM

Not correct, if it was on private property like mine was you do not need a police report, as 99% of the time there will not be one.

Same with on the road, they appreciate the police report, but its not necessary.

failedabortion 07-01-2015 07:47 AM

A police report isn't needed for a claim, but definitely helps(specially when they don't know traffic laws). You already have one so not sure why people are discussing it...

I wouldn't sit on the info too long before letting tpd knowing. Specially if the other person has insurance so you aren't having to cover deductibles until they find them.

Fix.it.again.Tony 07-07-2015 04:04 PM

whatevs

having a police report definitely helps and makes your claim seem more legit to the insurance boffins

even if you don't NEEEEEEEED to give them one. You should try to.