AZHT.net

AZHT.net (http://www.azht.net/forum/index.php)
-   Photography (http://www.azht.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   **Post a pic you took V2.0 - Criticism Welcome** SFW ONLY (http://www.azht.net/forum/showthread.php?t=154541)

HondaFreak 09-22-2011 05:28 PM

5d2 is a BAWZZZ camera. Are you specifically looking for full-frame?

eviilboy 09-22-2011 06:33 PM

Yeah, want the full frame sensor... want my lenses to be what they say they are instead of having to do calculations to determine focal length, etc.

Plus I want the ability to continuously shoot until my memory card runs out in raw... Which currently I cannot do with my t2i. (I do lots of animal style shooting, where they're moving etc.) And while right now I'm just being selective about the moments I'm snapping frames... I wanna have the flexibility of being able to just go to town.

So I'm saving up my pennies and waiting. ;)

HondaFreak 09-22-2011 09:04 PM

Cool, you will definitely love that camera and it's worth every penny! I'm actually thinking about buying a used 5d1 for now.

Big C 09-23-2011 09:09 PM

It's not bad. Not all its cracked out to be though. Side by side image quality comparison, it's hard to tell the difference from a 5d2 to 7d. Trust me I know. Owned both for 1.5 years at the same time. I sold the 5d2, kept the 7d. It's a more versatile camera.

If you want to shoot a lot continuously you're better off with the 7d. Way faster and focuses much quicker than the 5d2. Or just wait till later this year and see if better cameras come out. The 5d2 and 7d replacements should be badass.......I hope. Can't wait to see what comes out for Canon & Nikon.

HondaFreak 09-24-2011 03:17 AM

Well if you're shooting portraits, the full-frame is definitely the best choice. Marin knows more about why and all the mathematical reasons and what-not. He can explain more in-depth. He convinced me on getting a FF camera.

eviilboy 09-24-2011 07:57 AM

That's generally what I'm gonna be attempting to do... I've read lots of comparisons and have decided that I want a full frame camera, with a full 35mm sensor.

By the time I have enough money to actually by a 5d m2... There will probably be a couple new cameras that are better. :)

I do know some people who have 7ds and they love them... but I'm looking at getting away from the cropped sensor.

Jstarda9 09-24-2011 09:07 AM

Cool I also have a t2i with a 50mm but I have the 50mm f/1.8.. I'll be gettin a 70-200 soon.. After that one I am looking for a good wide angle lens.

eviilboy 09-24-2011 09:32 AM

I'm eye-balling a 24-105 f/4 IS L lens... I've got the stocker, a prime, and now I'm wanting something with a little bit of zoom... and something that I can walk around with.

I think Marin suggested a 17-50 tamron lens... I'll probably check that one out too.

is a pretty nice site. ;)

Big C 09-24-2011 12:52 PM

Marin always getting in on the technical side lol. I am just saying from my experience, that's all :)

Things I noticed about 5d2 vs 7d while I owned both for 1.5 years:

I hope when new cameras come out Canon steps up in the autofocus and tracking category. If they don't I shall be making the switch to Nikon.

I just bought the Tamron recently. I can tell you 100% that it is every bit as sharp a lens as the 24-105 f/4L IS and the 17-55 f/2.8 IS (I have owned both). The build quality on the Canon's are better but I could care less about that since I take good care of my gear. For the price this Tamron is pretty amazing.

I just recently shot the entire Japanese Classic Car Show with only the Tamron. See the sharpness for yourself in this album:

Oh and for rentals I would highly recommend . No deposits or weird bank verification process even on lenses worth $3000+.

eviilboy 09-24-2011 01:45 PM

Damn! That Tamron lens put in work for you... How much post processing did you have to do on those images, if you don't mind me asking.

Big C 09-24-2011 03:16 PM

About 20 seconds per image in Lightroom. Used a new technique for the whole set. I was really happy with how they turned out.

NissanSkyline901 09-24-2011 07:09 PM

Enjoy_this 09-25-2011 11:30 PM

by , on Flickr

stormsilverek 09-26-2011 09:04 AM

nelsmar 09-26-2011 09:17 AM

FF VS Crop is all about bokeh and DOF control, quality is meh difference not a big deal. If you want a more dreamy look you want a FF as you can get a much more aggressive falloff to bokeh with the extra sensor size, as you are forced to use longer lenses. (look at DOF of a 300mm vs a 100mm prime). This will keep you with a wider viewing aspect but you constrain the DOF of a longer lens.

IMO 7D is a superior camera, but simply cannot do the same bokeh falloff of a 5d unless you have a tight crop on the photo. If you want wide angle bokeh with falloff, 5d is the answer.

When it comes to speed of shooting, 7D is easily the choice IMO. The focus is far superior, the 5d feels so old school, the focus system feels weak, and meh just not into it. I personally want a full frame for the bokeh control but other than that for my auto work i prefer a 7D. As I am usually asked to keep things pin sharp and all in focus, so i just want a wide DOF anyway, so the falloff isn't really important to me. It isn't a WTF status difference either, but there is a difference.

and lol @ C, yup me always looking at the technical shiz.

eviilboy 09-26-2011 10:00 AM

Most of my photography is going to be headshots, and dimly lit stages / theatre style shit.

I've been really looking at the 7d -- but I think I'll still end up with the full frame 5d2.

wtb: both. :)

nelsmar 09-26-2011 01:40 PM

If a day ever comes for a 5D MK3 i will have both. Otherwise ill end up saving and going 1D one day and keeping my 7D. Sometimes i want that DOF control on the 7D. It is a great camera, and a 1D sucks as a walk around!

Jstarda9 09-26-2011 02:51 PM

So here is the noob in me. What difference is there with say my t2i and a 1d? I thought a lens made all the difference?

honduh_head 09-26-2011 04:46 PM

for the most part it is all in the lens, but that can only take you so far as well.

nelsmar 09-26-2011 05:12 PM

Sensor size. Call me later and ill explain it. Sensor size changes viewing angle which in return makes you use another lens. Its all about the lens. If you put a 300m F2 lens on a cell phone, you get the same depth of field and bokeh characteristics, however your viewing angle will be say 1mm, vs 15mm, due to sensor size. Bokeh distance & falloff ratio's (gradient etc) change when you change the focal length of a lens. Short lenses slowly graduate towards bokeh, vs long lenses cut near instant into pure bokeh. Thats the short of it.

eviilboy 09-26-2011 05:13 PM

You have a crop frame sensor ... whereas a 1d has a full frame sensor... you really should Google it.

Much like with rifle Scopes .... you can only get so far before your equipment limits you.

The President 09-26-2011 05:16 PM

about $4,000+

Well, first and foremost, it's a Full Frame camera. It is also very big and heavy, but will stand up to damn near any conditions. has a 45point a/f system and really the list goes on and on. This is a truly professional camera that should last forever in any conditions.

As for your question about lenses, yes, lenses make all the difference. You can produce fantastic images with a low end body but with L-glass. For now, stick with the T2i and don't worry yourself too much about the top notch camera bodies.

nelsmar 09-26-2011 05:22 PM

Googling will mostly just talk about crop factors changing the viewing angle. It is more than just that, it is forcing you to change your focal length. If it was just viewing angle i wouldn't possibly consider a 5D, 7D is noticeable cheaper, and has a much better focus system. Viewing angle doesn't really matter, you can just get a shorter / longer lens to compensate.

HondaFreak 09-26-2011 07:50 PM

The 1D is not a full frame, although it does have a 1.5 crop frame. The 1Ds is a full frame sensor.

The President 09-26-2011 10:04 PM

well holy fuck.. you're kind of right on that. I knew the original 1D was a crop, but thought the mk IV was full frame.

apparently it's a 1.3 crop sensor. not 1.5, but certainly not a full frame. eitherway, for anyone not "in the biz", it's probably overkill. and imo, I'd probably just opt for the 5D mk II if I needed a full frame. I personally shoot with a gripped 7D which does the job since I have no need for fast focus fall off.

HondaFreak 09-26-2011 11:03 PM

Ah yes you are correct. Nikon crop sensors are 1.5.

stormsilverek 09-27-2011 09:50 AM

Big C 09-28-2011 06:54 PM

by , on Flickr

Edwin_15_01 09-28-2011 10:54 PM

i know this guy he is cool as fuck do you know if its painted already that was his plans

PENTAGRAM_OF_EVIL 09-29-2011 07:42 PM

i really like it.. and the d7000 is great been learning vid with mine latly