AZHT.net

AZHT.net (http://www.azht.net/forum/index.php)
-   General Tech Forum (http://www.azht.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   stripped nut??? (http://www.azht.net/forum/showthread.php?t=65606)

blackouthx 05-30-2008 09:23 AM

stripped nut???

Okay so after a super long time of trying to get the 3 nuts off that hold the headers to the block Ive dug myself into a deeper hole. 2 of the 3 are completely messed up and the 3rd one me and my buddy tried to grind off, and well now half of the stud is gone :idiot:.

Ive tried Vice grips, gator grip (sucks ass) , and a set of craftsmen sockets specifically for stripped nuts and they ended up stripping the ish even more.

So Im wondering should I just grind the remaining 2 studs off and replace them? Or is there another way? Its on a d16 and there the 3 studs furthest to the right so there in kind of a awkward place to work with.

anybody know where to get these studs? Junkyard? also wtf are these called, any specific name?

thanks peeps! Ill try to get some pictures so you can see.

The President 05-30-2008 09:53 AM

i say, grind em off, and replace the studs them.. but thats just me.

blackouthx 05-30-2008 09:58 AM

is it easy to replace the studs? do they just screw out and in?

The President 05-30-2008 10:15 AM

depends on the situation... if you grind them off and have NO threads on the stud left, then yes, they are a pain in the ass to get out. if you have some decent amount of thread left.. then it's easy... you just use the two nut trick to get em off.

blackouthx 05-30-2008 10:27 AM

well if I grind them off in front of the header I will have the thickness of the header (probably 1/4") to work with. dont think if this is gonna be thick enough for 2 nuts unless I can find some skinny ones

The President 05-30-2008 10:38 AM

yeah, sounds that way.. there is a tool that Ravi (IntegraLS) uses to get studs out but I forgot what it's called.. PM him and ask him what that tool is called

blackouthx 05-30-2008 10:51 AM

cool , thanks for the help

usoowsin9 06-03-2008 09:53 AM

psychicandastrology.com

We have the expertise, holds characteristics of efficacy fast, short course and more consolidation after treatment. To help visitors restore self-esteem, self-reliance, urged them to strengthen their mental health and enhance the capacity of the pressure to achieve self-responsibility. To gain greater personal achievements and satisfaction.

Nedaaaah 06-04-2008 02:40 PM

wtf? SPAM!

1lowtacoma 06-04-2008 03:02 PM

cut the Nuts! castrate that bitch
then remove the studs with a vice grip
goto honda and spend 15$ on new studs and screws.

blackouthx 06-04-2008 05:54 PM

Yeah im gonna go to honda this weekend, you think they will have these in stock or have to order?

Shit we did try to cut the nut lol and there went the stud with it lol

thanks peeps

crash lander 06-04-2008 06:16 PM

If you take a hammer and a chisel you can hit the nut in the off direction. Eventually it will crack and come off or it will just come off. I have had to do that on my altenator.

blackouthx 06-04-2008 08:02 PM

shit me and my buddy tried that with no luck. We even tried a saw lol . Shits gonna get grinded off this weekend

I Hate Import Cars 06-04-2008 08:47 PM

Have you put any sort of penetrating lube on them or anything? Or heat? If you end up cutting/grinding them off, my suggestion would be NOT to just grab it with vise grips or whatever. Use vice grips, but first, grind 2 opposite sides of the stud flat so that the vice grips aren't trying to grip on a round stud. It'll get a lot more grip if it has 2 opposing flat pads to grab. Just a thought...

rick 06-12-2008 02:21 AM

you probably could use a extector set to take out the stud and a lot of lube

shat head 06-15-2008 06:44 PM

take the rest of the nuts off then the header. take you grinder make 2 flat spots oppisite of each other then use an adjustale wrench to take the broken studs out. then replace the studs with bolts till you get studs and nuts or leave the bolts in. done this a couple of times.