AZHT.net

AZHT.net (http://www.azht.net/forum/index.php)
-   AZHT Lounge (http://www.azht.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Boners (http://www.azht.net/forum/showthread.php?t=204171)

king06 10-30-2018 02:49 AM

Omg. Please say more.

Honda4Life. 11-07-2018 03:37 PM

Watching this sell today made my day as I have a twin to it. Mine is also 2 owner but no leaking struts or hole in the top. Also mine has less than half the miles of this one and I paid a decent amount less than this sold for.

I plan to auction mine this spring.

theAngryMarmot 11-09-2018 04:22 PM

Customer bought a resto-modded '62 'Vette.

Paint looks nice, underneath looks nice.

Has a custom aftermarket chassis, c6 brakes and suspension.
Upholstery is nice.
Has a 740hp LSX 454 under the hood and a six speed manual.

All in all, a nice looking car.

Comes to the shop. Here are the issues I repaired :

Car was not able to be driven, due to the clutch. I investigate and find :
Clutch master is secured by 2 out of four bolts.
Master cylinder push-rod is in hard contact with the firewall, and has been cutting a channel in it.
The geometry of the push-rod and linkage is completely wrong and working the opposite leverage wise than it should. You nearly had to use two feet to use the clutch and since the leverage points were all wrong there was no take-up or travel. You wiggle your toes and the clutch was out and you were underway.

The speedometer doesn't work, and the odometer runs backwards :

They had done a half-ass conversion by taking a classic instruments speedometer, removing the needle and stepper drive motor and affixing the drive to the back of the cluster. The improperly soldered the wires for the odometer, hence it running backwards. They couldn't get the speedo to work with the ECU (which is an easy fix) so they also added a gps speedo-drive but failed to disconnect the ECU signal so it was causing issues. This whole mess was just stuffed up in the dash and flailing about.

While repairing that, I found quite a few other electrical issues, such as melted wires and a near wire-fire due to improperly wired aftermarket side mirror turn indicators. All this obviously had to be repaired.

The engine also had a fairly bad oil leak, this was due to several issues :

PCV system was hooked up wrong - they just capped everything.This forced oil out several places due to pressure.
The header bolts they used were too long, and they forced them in. This cracked the heads and caused oil to leak out the header bolts.
Cylinder number 2 valve guide and seal were shot, and forcing oil past the header gasket.

They had made an intake, that you couldn't put a filter on. Instead they cut out the honeycomb section of an old MAF from who knows what, and half-assed crammed it in the tube. They also didn't seal it properly resulting in unmetered air entering the engine that caused idle surging, bucking, and stalling at low speeds. The intake tube they used was a false dual tube system, and air entering the tube could travel into the dummy tube, causing more idle issues. The inside of the tube was also flaking and coming apart.

On the dyno, the supposed 700+ engine made less than 450 at the wheels.

The hardtop (which are hideously expensive for these cars) when on the car had a 1" - 1.5" gap all the way around the base where it is supposed to fit with the body. This resulted in a monumental amount of work on my part fitting a new gasket, modifying the top, and using a custom oversized window and fabricating new mounts.

The stainless header trim of the hardtop was also ill-fitting because they reused the old rusty and crappy trim retention piece under the trim. There was a 3/16" gap between the trim and the top. I had to have a new one cut on water-jet from stainless steel and bent it myself (had to make a tool to do so...) to fit since this part is no longer made. The stainless header trim isn't made either - so this required extreme car in removal and fitting. Used ones are not cheap and probably in worse shape. I also did this without damaging the paint on the hardtop.....

The "cove" panel of the dash looked like a junkyard part, so we replaced it with a new re-pop one. This takes a few hours as 'vette dashes of this era are not fun to disassemble.

The upholstery in the trunk was incomplete, so I had to fabricate various panels to fit around hinges, latches, etc - and then have them upholstered the same color as the rest of the trunk.

The front grill was under a huge amount of tension to fit, so that had to come out and be repaired.

This is the just the bigger stuff....there was more that I have probably blocked from my memory.

Pretty typical of a 200k + BJ car.......Looks great rolling across the block - but.....

Chuck Chainz 11-10-2018 10:23 AM

So he told you to shut the fuck up because you brought all of those issues to his attention?

theAngryMarmot 11-11-2018 10:36 AM

Oh no, that is a different story

I apparently irritated him back in 04 or 05 when he came over to talk to a customer and I.

This customer had an amazing collection of muscle cars going to auction - rightfully so the customer decided not to sell the 30 or so cars at BJ auctions. The collection was basically a whos-who of cars. Unrestored LS6 Chevelles, Yenkos, Cobras, two ZL1s, a couple GT350s (one an R model...)

The discussion turned to ZL1s. In 1969 there were only two RS trim level ZL1s produced. My customer had an unrestored low mile example. Even the hoses/belts/tires were original. If I remember correctly it's production number was #59.

Craig had "the other" RS ZL1 at the time, but it was pretty much common knowledge that his was a shady rebody with unconfirmed history. Basically in the collector car world it was regarded as a fake. I had no issue stating that because he was being a dick to my customer for not selling the cars through BJ. That is what inspired his comments towards me.

Correctly enough my customer's car sold for 850K back in '05. Pretty sure when CJ sold his it didn't garner anywhere near that. I would be surprised if it brought over 100k.

Customer's real unrestored ZL1 RS had a really cool history. The car suffered a cracked block within days of delivery to the dealer (Aluminum porosity was an issue back then) and the car had a new engine bottom end installed by the dealer. So fast forward to 05 and the customer actually locates the original correct block and buys it (not cheap!) and we assembled it and mount it to an engine test stand. So when the car rolled across the block the new owner received the engine that was in the car (factory replacement) and the one it left the line with on a stand. The one on the stand was assembled with the correct heads/valvetrain/etc.

Lol.

king06 11-11-2018 07:29 PM

Holy crap. That's insane, how in the world do you even charge something like that?

theAngryMarmot 11-11-2018 08:07 PM

They pay whatever it takes.

The joy of working at a shop like where I work. Customers understand, and aren't on a budget.

cbaracing 11-12-2018 08:52 AM

well you arent dealing with your typical honda owner trying to scrounge loose couch change to buy the lastest pos BWR part :tongue:

Honda4Life. 11-18-2018 08:52 AM

KillerDragn 11-19-2018 01:20 AM

I'm getting overtime for working thanksgiving I swear. ;P

stin1 11-20-2018 08:28 PM

Wow. I had a paper route when this car came put . It has aged much better than me.

stin1 11-30-2018 06:09 PM

CAPTAIN CAAAAAAAVEMAN 12-01-2018 07:49 AM

I wonder if thats the flooded car thats now being flipped!

This one was "in a secret barn" LOL

stin1 12-02-2018 05:03 AM

stin1 12-14-2018 07:49 AM

Lots of boners in the lounge. Lol .

Honda4Life. 12-16-2018 07:21 PM

stin1 12-17-2018 07:14 AM

Crazy.

S!K TEG 12-26-2018 07:55 AM

I came across this while looking for my next project. I have placed a bid and currently holding the highest bid at $14,100

stin1 12-26-2018 06:25 PM

Now that is sweet. Hopefully that aluminum body wasn't damaged.

LS-S DA9 12-27-2018 11:05 AM

S!K TEG 12-27-2018 01:19 PM

a used panel is 500-900 which really isn't bad. but the bid surpassed my wallet so time to move on lol

stin1 12-27-2018 01:56 PM

More country singing?

stin1 12-27-2018 01:59 PM

I saw it without the zoom . They don't end up on copart for tail lights. Lol .

S!K TEG 12-27-2018 03:31 PM

nah, I moved on to alternative Banda rock

stin1 01-19-2019 08:29 AM

stin1 01-19-2019 08:30 AM

Local.

Honda4Life. 01-20-2019 01:06 PM

Hes a member on here. 4crusin or something close to that is his screen name. Also the same guy with the 2dr Legend with like 600k now. Has this blog site.

stin1 01-26-2019 06:20 PM

O H !

CAPTAIN CAAAAAAAVEMAN 01-26-2019 10:36 PM

Hasnt had oil change since '06? C'mon man!