AZHT.net

AZHT.net (http://www.azht.net/forum/index.php)
-   AZHT Lounge (http://www.azht.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   STI or EVOIX? (http://www.azht.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24034)

Littlefoot 03-04-2007 10:33 PM

give the EJ series motore some time in the u.s. it hasnt been around as long as the 4g63 has, so it still has awhile to grow and improve every year, like it has been since its debut in 2002.

Guerillah 03-04-2007 11:40 PM

we are comparing a evo9 in this thread, not a evo8. show me a sti that is running 12.1 in AZ with the mods you listed, i bet you will be hard pressed to find one. theres a lot of evo ix's back east running in the 11's on stock turbo/clutch/stock cams.

Littlefoot 03-05-2007 12:03 AM

YA BUT I HAVE YET TO SEE ONE IN AZ...

click

post #3 ...power should be no problem from now...should be good for low 12s pretty easily

411trq= FTW

coolcatcolin 03-05-2007 01:19 AM

Here is another link to the same car.
You were right the '07 has the VF-43 turbo now instead of the VF-39 with a larger wastegate to eliminate the boost creep problems that previous years had. The exhaust is less restrictive, better gearing, heads were re-done to eliminate a problem with sodium build up, and the ECU is a lot more tuner friendly allowing people to get a lot more power out of their STi's.
As for the comparison I own a WRX actually and the IX is not much different from the VIII so him comparing the two doesn't matter. The IX has mivec which is completely useless when you upgrade the turbo. Every Evo guy I've talked to hates Mivec and just talks about how uselss it is. For the '07 it's not bad just throwing a turbo back on a car and getting it reflashed and running low 12s on pump gas (the header is useless on WRX/STi's with out a larger turbo. The stock one's are very efficient.) There's an STi that runs 9's on stock trans, clutch, flywheel as well. When looking at the cost of the Evo and STi running a low 12 the '07 STi is cheaper. The Evo VIII is a good example because those are all problems along with parts that a lot of owners have to get to make their cars run that fast. I hang out with both Evo and Subaru owners and enjoy both cars. There is an Evo IX around Tempe actually that has a turbo kit on it and is still running mid 12's. I even asked my buddy what it would take for a IX to run high 11's and he said "turbo back, intake, boost controller, alchy/meth injection, and you'll have high 11's." He also said that the Mynes shop IX has the 2.4block, 35r kit, and runs an 11.4. Also, because of Mivec the amount of power you get out of cams is 5-10hp compared to 30-40hp on an Evo VIII. So sure you could run high 11's easily in an Evo IX but all that compared to a turbo back and reflash is more costly and that's what was brought up. Sorry for the long post hopefully people still want to read it.

Guerillah 03-05-2007 09:00 AM

wow. the world really is full of idiots. idiocracy is coming true. this post has so much misinformation about the evo ix im not even going to bother responding, im done with this thread. buy a wrx, and when you get beat by a evo ix with less mods than you, dont cry to me. remember, the STI's weight more, especially in 07. later

fourstarcivic 03-05-2007 09:24 AM

actaully im interested on what is misinformed in that post why dont you be a good lad and back that up for us eh?

Guerillah 03-05-2007 11:14 AM

lets see..

1. IX is a lot different then the 8, it has bigger cams stock, bigger turbo, mivec, revised coolant passages, revised gearbox, more advanced ecu.

2. mivec is not useless with a big turbo, its just as effective. compare the evo8 vs evo9 dyno charts and youll see the evo9 makes a lot more low end, a lot more midrange, but the same top end. So if you want to say, top end power is the same then its useless, so be it, that just proves you are moronic.

3. show me a sti running 9's on a stock clutch and ill give you $20 in paypal, to run 9s it would have to be making somewhere around 700hp, I laugh at that comment.

4. the guy with a turbo kit on his evo9 that runs mid 12s is obviously an idiot as people run better than on stock turbo.

5. Theres numerous evo9s in AZ that run high 11's on stock turbo/cams/and clutch.

6. you dont need alcohol injection to run 11's.

7. how is a wrx cheaper to run 11's with? You can buy a $1300 package from buschur racing and run low 12's.

Sounds like you need to do your research, not me.

turbopreludedriver2007 03-05-2007 11:49 AM

Good Stuff :blunt: this thread is great

enigma94 03-05-2007 12:06 PM

ageed. Its nice to see a topic like this being handled professionally and people not throwing arround personal bashes. There is a lot of good info in this thread, keep it coming people!

enigma94 03-05-2007 12:14 PM

fourstarcivic 03-05-2007 12:37 PM

im sorry my lack of evo knowlege categorizes me as a "moron" and an "idiot" but still with my "stupidity" im sure the cat who started this thread is still getting alot of knowlege and your posts have good information, but still prove one of the comments true that i have stated in one of my previous posts. ( you can look and find it i dont have to say it again)

coolcatcolin 03-05-2007 12:43 PM

are you kidding me? There is proof in the links that you will spend less to get an STi to run low 12's. There is no misinformation about what I said. I know the IX turbo is bigger and the cams are different. I talk and hang out with Evo owners and people who tune Evos and MIVEC IS USELESS WHEN YOU GO BIG TURBO. I think someone else has their information wrong. No one said to go out and buy a wrx, this is about the STi and Evo nothing to do with a WRX, of course an Evo with 1300 dollars worth of parts will beat a WRX don't switch car models on us. I could sit here and tell you each little difference between every year of the WRX like you're doing with the IX and VIII but that doesn't matter the question wasn't even about that. I HANG OUT WITH EVO and STI OWNERS and one of my good friends has a built Evo. A Turboback and reflash will make an STi run low 12's I'm sorry that Subaru has the ability to do that and you're so upset by that. None of your information that you tried proving me wrong with showed anything. Ok then don't use alcohol injection on your Evo, you're still spending less on the '07 STi. I never said there are no Evos in AZ running 11's. I know of Evos doing that so thanks for that information as well. As I stated in my previous post I hang out with people who own both and I like both, but when it comes to the main topic about which is cheaper to mod it USED to be the Evo, but is now the '07 STi. Apparently some people just can't handle that.

Smoot 03-05-2007 12:50 PM

Its all about the driver. Now I have witnessed Guerriah run a 12.1 on stock tires, turbo, clutch, cams.

Guerillah 03-05-2007 01:21 PM

Im done with this thread.

All I have to say is, who has more 8 and 9 second cars, who has more SCCA wins, and what engine is in the quickest 4 cylinder powered car in the world?

jägermeister 03-05-2007 01:27 PM

so far I've noticed that the most informative posts were by people that own or have owned either car. the rest is pure fagacious drivel that "someone heard from a friend who has a friend that read it in a magazine".

honduh_head 03-05-2007 01:28 PM

chad from topnotch ran a 12.6 with a clutch and turbo back...and that was with an evo viii

he paid $650 for the clutch installed and $300 for the turbo back...less than a g and he ran 12.6...nuff said

oh and evolevo (on here) ran a 13.0 with stock clutch and turbo back with a 2.1 60 ft

EvolEvo 03-05-2007 02:17 PM

Its all personal preference. You can bolt on fuel components and big turbo kits to either, and have success up to a certain point.

However once you hit that magic number, both cars are going to require you to hoe out more money to make BIG power.

The STI however is going to require quite a bit more than the Evo is though to get the motor to make power.

For a built crawford EJ25 short block is about 4k. Its an additional 4k if you want the billet crank, and if you want the crawford cams with port n polished head, and crawford valvetrain its another 7k. Not to mention the cost of a decent turbo kit, and the fuel stuff engine management etc. But the tranny should hold up pretty well under such abuse.

Then theres the Evo. Well while building a 4G isint nearly as expensive, lets say 3-4k for the entire engine build, plus turbo kit and fuel stuff. There is the tranny and t-case to worry about. Which is about 1800 for a the Shep Stage 2 Tranny, and another 2400 or so for the built Tcase. Hell Davis Buschur got his Personal Evo IX Rs to go 9.8's with off the shelf parts. But he still had to put a Shep tranny, and Tcase in it to do it.

Each car has its faults. If someone could put a motor like the 4G63 in a car with a tranny like the one in the Sti. Life would be perfect lol. I also admit that these are extreme examples of each. You can make decent power in both with just bolting on turbo kits, and I think either one makes a great starting platform to build a fun to drive fast car on.

Oh and to the person who said the Wrx motor and the Sti motor were the same is kinda wrong. They share most of the bottom end parts, except for the rods, Sti gets forged rods. The heads are whats really different. The Sti gets different valvetrain, cams, air intake manifolds, different intercoolers...well you get the idea.

Test drive both cars, and get an idea for which one YOU like best. If I was getting either one brand new for free....I have to say it would be hard for me to choose.

Littlefoot 03-05-2007 02:36 PM

12.8 with TBE...300$ oh yea baby!! Same night!!

Littlefoot 03-05-2007 02:39 PM

buy the evo9 put some money to it and u will be more than happy!

honduh_head 03-05-2007 02:50 PM

sorry lil buddy, forgot to throw you in there...

i think its obvious that both cars are cool...go test drive them and pick which one you like the best...in avondale there's a mitsu dealer right next to a subie dealer, it doesnt get much better than that lol

FUK JDM 03-05-2007 04:02 PM

Forget them both and just buy a Lexus.:blunt:

ikid ikid.

coreys sti=sick
chads/david evo-sick. nuff said.

ZonaAltima 03-05-2007 04:22 PM

That is the top, by the professional sponsored companies, and THOUSANDS of dollars spent. I could be wrong, but I think we are talking about base EVO or STI with everyday mods.

True story. Both are nice, both are kings in my opinion, but at local AWD meets, again, its the EVO guys who seem to have more breakdowns and problems, and the STI is literally $200 cheaper to insure per six months, despite exact hp and torque numbers they share with the EVO.

I'll leave it alone in this thread. Simple: Test drive both and see what you think, feel, and what you like. I would go STI, but that's just me. to the OP, if you are serious, go drive them both, different cars for different folks. Good luck! :clap:

Guerillah 03-05-2007 04:33 PM

I would have to say you will find more 11 sec evos than you will STIs as well.

Littlefoot 03-05-2007 04:54 PM

who cares....

fourstarcivic 03-05-2007 05:07 PM

x2
he wants to buy a stock evo or sti not a built one

FUK JDM 03-05-2007 05:09 PM

Obviously someone that is looking into buying either a Sti or an Evo. When you compare two things you normally would care about the pros and cons about both cars. :tongue: see you tonight qt.

Guerillah 03-05-2007 05:15 PM

you dont need a built anything to run 11s with an evo9. its been done on stock clutch, stock turbo, stock cams many of times. Maybe you consider basic intake/exhaust bolt ons built.

Littlefoot 03-05-2007 05:18 PM

well than all i can say is buy a evo if you want to hit 11's than cuz STi's cant do it:clap:

fourstarcivic 03-05-2007 05:19 PM

sweet so i can go buy an evo 9 drive off the lot and run 11s! go with the evo man no stock sti can run 11s off the floor

Guerillah 03-05-2007 05:20 PM

i never said they couldn't, what I am saying is its easier with a EVO9, especially compared to pre 07' STI's, even then its easier than the 07 due to weight.